Friday 10 July 2009

Day 17: Neat packages

Over curried pumpkin soup, a friend pointed out that my blogs are little stories that are always resolved by the end of the piece. And it got me thinking: I do write self-contained stories.

To be honest, I think there is a lot of vanity in this: it makes me feel that I've achieved something when I have an insight worth sharing with others; it avoids exposing my soft under-belly on the themes swirling through my life where I lack any clear insights; and finally, I have wondered the value of sharing confusion.

In some ways, we live in a world that is very confusing. Stories help us make meaning and sense from over-whelming and often conflicting data. Stories that are incomplete may be more interesting in some ways, because life is never complete. As soon as I gain enough insight into one issue that I feel I can leave it go, another issue comes to the fore...

Life is like that, a constantly evolving kaleidoscope of colours... and I'm often so worried about my inability to figure out the pattern that I lose the joyousness of the colours and shapes [read: life events and emotions!]

So I'm open to input... self-contained and/or on-going themes that may never become clearer? Answers on a postcard please!

No comments:

Post a Comment