Thursday 14 October 2010

Notes to my unborn child: Excellence

Many people think of Excellence as a goal.  For others, it is a methodology.  I believe Excellence is an outcome.

Excellence is not something to pursue, in and of its own right.  It is the natural outcome when our actions are aligned with our passion and purpose, when what we do flows from the very essence of who we are.

What I have learnt about Excellence
There is no doubt that Excellence requires determination, hard work, passion, persistence and dedication.  In my experience, it's hard to sustain these characteristics for very long if we are operating on will power alone.  The effort becomes too great and either the task crushes us or find we have to leave it go.

The great insight for me has been the discovery that all those characteristics can actually flow from us lightly and gracefully, when we are engaged in tasks that we love, and when we are deeply committed to something that aligns with our sense of passion and purpose. 

It never ceases to amaze me that so much of life is about our attitude to what we are doing and who we are in that moment.  Excellence shows just how true that is...

My wish for you
My wish for you is so simple - that you be You, that you do what you love, what lights you up, what inspires you... then Excellence will flow through every aspect of your life simply because it is the inevitable outcome of living a life of joy and passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment