Wednesday 5 January 2011

New Year's Resolution

Have you ever noticed how much of life you resist?  Even tiny moments.  I've only just beginning to realise it myself.  And here is my New Year's Resolution... to soften my resistance.

I probably can't eradicate it, but it may be feasible for me to soften my resistance.  When things don't go my way the accumulated frustration makes me feel hard and brittle internally.  That never makes life easier!  Nor does it resolve whatever issue is creating the resistance.

I think that learning to live with the present, to accept what is.  I don't mean this as an excuse not to change things that don't work for me, it's more about accepting the present moment while still moving towards the goals I've set for myself.

And there aren't very many goals at the moment - getting through the day is still an achievement for me!  James is asleep right now, hence this scribbled blog which isn't very deep, but I'm on the clock!  So, in essence, for this year I'm attempting to accept life without drama or resistance.  There's more to this than meets the eye, but I can't articulate it yet.

Signing off now!

3 comments:

  1. Jennifer,
    I've been mulling over your idea of "resisting life" for the last week or so. The phrase really stuck in my mind. We don't usually think that when we are digging our heels in over some issue that we are resisting life, rather that we do not want to accept something or someone which has presented in our path. But if we see that things don't just happen by chance and that all life is connected, then these things are, indeed, an integral (and perhaps a crucial) part of the whole of our lives, there not by chance but rather by grace, to teach us and bless us as we
    receive them as presents and embrace them for the opportunity to learn and grow. Just a thought. Hope all is well with your little family! Greg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Greg!
    I agree with everything you say above! And I would add this: that if we resist those moments, we make those lessons, or gifts much harder than they need to be. Lowering resistance is seeing the beauty in those taxing moments - rather than getting lost in our stories of how it 'should' be.
    Jennifer
    PS All well with the family and James has great lungs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "You *can* argue with reality. You only lose 100% of the time." ~ Byron Katie

    ReplyDelete