Monday 24 January 2011

When the story is bigger than reality

As I said in a previous blog, I'm experimenting with the theme of non-resistance for 2011.  By that I mean, going with the flow, accepting life rather than battling with it and focusing on what is, not what I think ought to be. 

Easier said than done!

As January comes to a close I've realised that most of my resistance comes from the stories in my head, not from external circumstances.  More importantly, I've noticed that the stories I create are actually more powerful then the reality I'm living. 

For example, I can be complaining in my head about the rudeness of a stranger long after that stranger has gone on their way and forgotten me.  The story is bigger than reality.  And the story is more powerful simply because I've given it more power.  I'm living through a story, through fiction, not through my very own reality.

And, I've also decided that I have to be gentle with this.  A lifetime of living through my stories, and focusing on them over and above my reality can't be changed overnight.  So, for now, I'm simply noticing when I'm lost in the story, rather than the reality. 

Apologies for the lack of a photograph - James is crying as he's due a feed so I must dash.

No comments:

Post a Comment