Tuesday 19 February 2013

Blessing deep and wide

Blessings seem to have gone out of fashion. I often feel a bit like an old woman when I talk about blessings, and yet nothing could be further from the truth.

I once read the story of a woman who was in a car accident.  She left her body and meet an angel who traveled with her above the tailback her accident had caused on the motorway.  In all the cars she saw angry, anxious people, annoyed at the delay to their journey.  In all the cars, except one.  In that one car a woman sat quietly blessing all involved in the accident, whether directly or indirectly.  She and her car radiated light.  The lady made a mental note of the car registration and when she recovered she went and found that woman to thank her for her blessing, as they had speeded her recovery and to tell her how powerful her blessing had been.

I love that blessing woman!  I want to be that woman: the person who, when everyone else is angry and annoyed, is centred and spreading love; mind you, it's even better if we are all spreading love!

So I bless accidents, people who look sad in the street, houses where I hear shouting, crying children... the obvious people and situations.  But I also bless deep and wide (well, that's my fancy term for it).

When sitting on the underground, I send a blessing to everyone who has sat in that seat, ever.  And everyone one who will ever sit in the seat.  And ride that train.  Then I think about everyone who rides any train, anywhere in the world; we are connected by the same activity though we are on different corners of the world and have never met.  I bless them.  Then I think back in time to all the people who have ever ridden any train, and I bless them.  Then I think forward to all future train users, and I bless them. 

Gradually, I build a little web of blessings, weaving love and light across time and space.  For a moment, I feel my connection to unknown others.  I feel an intimacy with strangers, a genuine desire for their well being, and I too am blessed, because I feel a deep sense of peace, love and connection with All That Is.  When I bless, I touch All That Is.

For me, it is a blessing to bless.  It allows me to contribute directly to the wellbeing of each person, of every person.  My Blessing Deep and Wide method is just for my own amusement, I enjoy finding new ways of experiencing my connection with All That Is.

There are as many ways to bless as there are human thoughts - so quite a few! - and we can all find our own way.

No comments:

Post a Comment