Friday 3 May 2013

The world through the eyes of a toddler

It's fascinating to see the world anew, through the eyes of my toddler.  It is always fresh, pure and playful.  And invariably funny!  Here are a few insights from James, age 2 1/2.

On leaving nursery he had clearly mastered what I'm still learning.
"I happy.  I good...
Pause
"I happy. I good Mama."
Another pause
"I AM happy.  I good, Mama"

He offered me a half chewed corner of his banana sandwich.
"No thanks, James, I'm fine thank you."
"Taste it!  It's very tasty."
Well, if I'm going to say it to him I better be prepared to hear it: I sure ate my words that day!

"It's time for bed James."
"No Mama."
"What do you mean, 'No Mama'?"
"No! It's very early in the morning."
The power of positive thinking!

He likes to hold onto - and squash - his sandwiches between bites, hence...
"James, put down your sandwich while you're eating."
No response
"Bite it, then put it down, James."
"And eat it Mama."
Why didn't I think of that?!

On returning the box of tissues to their correct place...
"Good boy James, you're a treasure!"
"Yes I am a treasure."
May we all retain such positive self regard!

He threw his animals across the floor in a fit of temper and had a time out to cool down.
"Why did Mummy give you a time out, James?"
"Animals."
"That's right, it's naughty to throw your animals across the room."
"Sorry Mummy.  Now 'Sorry animals.'"
And with that he walked over to the animals strewn across the carpet and said the most heartfelt "Sorry Animals", I think plastic animals have ever heard.

I don't even remember what I did right on this occasion!
"Good boy, Mummy."
"Thank you James, but I'm a girl.  Mummy is a girl."
"Good boy, Mummy girl."

No comments:

Post a Comment